Owl gets stuck in grill of SUV in Florida
Plantation, Fla. (KGO) -- A great horned owl had the ride of its life late last week in Florida.
The owl got stuck inside the front grill of an SUV, after being accidently run over Thursday night by a woman driving down the Florida Turnpike.
The driver, Sonji Coney Williams, never knew the bird was in there. She knew she had hit the owl, but assumed it had bounced into bushes. She got a huge surprise the next day, some 60 miles from where she hit the owl.
"There was a family that pulled in front of my parking space and flagged me down and said, 'Don't move, don't move, you have something in the grill of your truck. I said, 'Yes, what is it?' And they said, 'It's an owl.' And I said, 'An owl?'" said Williams.
The woman called Florida Fish and Wildlife and an officer came over to free the bird from the grill. Williams felt so guilty for hitting the owl she had a hard time looking at it and even shed a few tears.
The owl seems to be just fine.
animals in peril, national/world
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 45 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
37 min ago