Owl gets stuck in grill of SUV in Florida
Plantation, Fla. (KGO) -- A great horned owl had the ride of its life late last week in Florida.
The owl got stuck inside the front grill of an SUV, after being accidently run over Thursday night by a woman driving down the Florida Turnpike.
The driver, Sonji Coney Williams, never knew the bird was in there. She knew she had hit the owl, but assumed it had bounced into bushes. She got a huge surprise the next day, some 60 miles from where she hit the owl.
"There was a family that pulled in front of my parking space and flagged me down and said, 'Don't move, don't move, you have something in the grill of your truck. I said, 'Yes, what is it?' And they said, 'It's an owl.' And I said, 'An owl?'" said Williams.
The woman called Florida Fish and Wildlife and an officer came over to free the bird from the grill. Williams felt so guilty for hitting the owl she had a hard time looking at it and even shed a few tears.
The owl seems to be just fine.
animals in peril, national/world
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 1 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
10 min ago