Turtle swimming again with new prosthetic flippers
JAPAN (KGO) -- A loggerhead turtle is back in the swim of things thanks to some innovation thinking.
"Yu-chan" showed off her new prosthetic flippers this week at the Suma Aqualife Park in Kobe, Japan. She was found in a fishing net back in 2008 with badly-damaged fins, probably from a shark attack.
In that time she's had 27 different sets of flippers.
This time though, researchers strapped a special jacket outfitted with the flippers around her shell. It's a better fit, and easier for her to swim.
animal, animals in peril, medical research, national/world
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Freeze Warning in place for most of the Bay Area
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday