Powerball jackpot winners claim $217 million
VIRGINIA (KGO) -- One very lucky Virginia couple claimed one of the highest Powerball payouts in state history on Thursday.
Dave and Nancy Honeywell picked up a check for $217 million. Dave hit all six Powerball numbers in last week's drawing. He bought the ticket on a whim at Richmond International Airport, while heading out of town on a business trip.
It wasn't until days after the drawing that he remembered to check his numbers. "I said well it must be the wrong date, you know, maybe it was the pull. And I just took the dates and I'm like this can't be and I'm shaking so bad at that point; I could barely read the ticket, just shaking, shaking," he said.
Dave and Nancy will spend part of the money on their grandson who needs surgery for a heart problem he's had since birth. They do plan to splurge a little bit on themselves by buying a new car.
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos