Vatican will shut down pope's twitter account
VATICAN CITY (KGO) -- The Vatican has a centuries-old task at hand in selecting Pope Benedict's successor but they've already made a 21st Century decision when it comes to his twitter account.
@Pontifex is the pope's twitter handle and it's followed by more than 2 million people. Friday Vatican radio has announced once Benedict leaves office next week, they'll go ahead and close the account.
The pope has only posted two tweets in english during lent.
There's no word yet on whether his successor will open a twitter account yet.
pope, twitter, religion, national/world
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area 52 min ago
- Elderly man detained in NKorea reunited with family
- Court records show MLB denied A's move to San Jose
- Snow, sleet, ice hit large swath of United States
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Man fatally stabbed on East 20th Street in Oakland
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday