Teen lands job while walking 10 miles in snow to interview
An 18-year old from Indiana is receiving worldwide attention Tuesday for his extreme dedication to getting a job to help his family.
Jhaqueil Reagan was walking on his way to a job interview last Friday when he crossed paths with restaurant owner Art Bouvier.
Bouvier told the teenager he better catch a bus because he had seven miles to his destination, certainly too far to walk through snow and ice.
Reagan thanked him but kept walking. Fifteen minutes later, Bouvier came across the young man again.
"I said how come you're not on the bus. He said, 'I can't afford the bus until I get a job.' I'm thinking to myself, here's a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and the snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage. That's the kind of story my parents used to tell," Bouvier said.
Bouvier heard enough. He offered Reagan a job on the spot at the Cajun restaurant he owns in Indianapolis.
"I'm lucky I met him," Reagan said. "I'm really lucky I met him. It's overwhelming. I didn't expect all of this or anything. I was just going to a job interview."
It turns out Reagan's been caring for his siblings since their mom died two years ago. Reagan says he learned his work ethic from his dad and he hopes to soon be able to get his own apartment close to work.
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 14 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill 3 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos