Survey: More keep guns at home for protection
A new poll from the Pew Research Center finds that more Americans are keeping guns in their homes for protection rather than hunting.
According to the poll, 48% of gun owners keep their weapons for protection compared with 32% who say they own a firearm for hunting purposes.
Back in 1999, an ABC New/Washington Post poll found that only 26% of gun owners kept a gun for protection compared to 49% who said they used their weapon mainly for hunting.
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos