Survey: More keep guns at home for protection
A new poll from the Pew Research Center finds that more Americans are keeping guns in their homes for protection rather than hunting.
According to the poll, 48% of gun owners keep their weapons for protection compared with 32% who say they own a firearm for hunting purposes.
Back in 1999, an ABC New/Washington Post poll found that only 26% of gun owners kept a gun for protection compared to 49% who said they used their weapon mainly for hunting.
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M 44 min ago
- Poll: Californians gradually souring on unions 25 min ago
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Big-rig accident blocks WB I-580 lanes in Pleasanton 56 min ago
- Crash forces elementary school closure in San Rafael
- Beyonce releases new iTunes-exclusive album
- Journey guitarist to get married in SF on pay-per-view
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: BART higher fares; Bingo robbery
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday