Survey: More keep guns at home for protection
A new poll from the Pew Research Center finds that more Americans are keeping guns in their homes for protection rather than hunting.
According to the poll, 48% of gun owners keep their weapons for protection compared with 32% who say they own a firearm for hunting purposes.
Back in 1999, an ABC New/Washington Post poll found that only 26% of gun owners kept a gun for protection compared to 49% who said they used their weapon mainly for hunting.
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep 38 min ago
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 40 min ago
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
40 min ago