Teacher donating kidney to 8-year-old student
An Ohio teacher is going way beyond her duties in the classroom to save one of her students' lives.
Eight-year-old Nicole suffers from a genetic disorder that left her with one kidney and it's been failing her entire life.
Recently her condition was getting worse and she needed a kidney soon. When Nicole's teacher Wendy Killian found out she was a match, she volunteered to give up her kidney.
"Yes, I'm going to be going through a major surgery, but you know, it's only going to be a few weeks of my life, but to this little girl, it is her whole life," Killian said.
Killian says she knew the situation all too well. Her youngest son's life was saved at birth thanks to a blood platelet transfusion.
teachers, children, national/world
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support 1 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement 17 min ago
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Driver in fatal Twin Peaks DUI hit-and-run sentenced
- Target shopper files suit over security breach 11 min ago
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set 10 min ago
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on...
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos