Teacher donating kidney to 8-year-old student
An Ohio teacher is going way beyond her duties in the classroom to save one of her students' lives.
Eight-year-old Nicole suffers from a genetic disorder that left her with one kidney and it's been failing her entire life.
Recently her condition was getting worse and she needed a kidney soon. When Nicole's teacher Wendy Killian found out she was a match, she volunteered to give up her kidney.
"Yes, I'm going to be going through a major surgery, but you know, it's only going to be a few weeks of my life, but to this little girl, it is her whole life," Killian said.
Killian says she knew the situation all too well. Her youngest son's life was saved at birth thanks to a blood platelet transfusion.
teachers, children, national/world
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation 33 min ago
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni
- UK officials: Radical Islam drives London attack
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening 30 min ago
- Stray pony found wandering Richmond's Iron Triangle 17 min ago
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 49ers Michael Crabtree tears right Achilles tendon
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 20 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
8 min ago
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma...
1 min ago
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos