Woman claims she helped pope become a priest
BUENOS AIRES (KGO) -- A woman claiming to have been Pope Francis' childhood girlfriend says she helped him become a priest by rejecting his marriage proposal.
In Buenos Aires on Thursday Amalia Damonte said she lived just four houses down from the young Jorge Bergoglio.
She says when she was 13, he told her, "If we don't get married, I'll become a priest."
Damonte say she's has high hopes for his role as pope.
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City 46 min ago
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident 33 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies 36 min ago
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans 25 min ago
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown