Woman claims she helped pope become a priest
BUENOS AIRES (KGO) -- A woman claiming to have been Pope Francis' childhood girlfriend says she helped him become a priest by rejecting his marriage proposal.
In Buenos Aires on Thursday Amalia Damonte said she lived just four houses down from the young Jorge Bergoglio.
She says when she was 13, he told her, "If we don't get married, I'll become a priest."
Damonte say she's has high hopes for his role as pope.
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos