NYC nanny charged with killing kids found fit for murder trial
NEW YORK (KGO) -- A New York City nanny charged with stabbing two children to death has been found fit to stand trial.
Yoselyn Ortega appeared in Manhattan state Supreme Court on Friday. She has pleaded not guilty to murder.
Police say they found Ortega last October in the bathroom of her employer's apartment on the city's Upper West Side. The bodies of 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, were nearby in a pool of blood.
Ortega was hospitalized with stab wounds that police say were self-inflicted.
The family had just moved to New York from San Francisco's Noe Valley. The children's father worked at Bloomberg and Yahoo.
Her sister has said Ortega loved the children and is a peaceful woman.
Ortega's lawyer is challenging the results of her mental exam.
Her next court date is May 6.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
child death, children, crime, new york, yahoo, noe valley, violence, murder, mental health, national/world
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 16 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ 7 min ago
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise 5 min ago
- Accident cleared from EB lanes of the Bay Bridge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Unknown good Samaritan called 911 after man's seizure
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Cal housing vote; Candlestick soccer
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday