NYC nanny charged with killing kids found fit for murder trial
NEW YORK (KGO) -- A New York City nanny charged with stabbing two children to death has been found fit to stand trial.
Yoselyn Ortega appeared in Manhattan state Supreme Court on Friday. She has pleaded not guilty to murder.
Police say they found Ortega last October in the bathroom of her employer's apartment on the city's Upper West Side. The bodies of 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, were nearby in a pool of blood.
Ortega was hospitalized with stab wounds that police say were self-inflicted.
The family had just moved to New York from San Francisco's Noe Valley. The children's father worked at Bloomberg and Yahoo.
Her sister has said Ortega loved the children and is a peaceful woman.
Ortega's lawyer is challenging the results of her mental exam.
Her next court date is May 6.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
child death, children, crime, new york, yahoo, noe valley, violence, murder, mental health, national/world
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday