Dr. Kermit Gosnell guilty in 3 babies' deaths
PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia doctor accused of performing illegal, late-term abortions in a filthy clinic has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of three babies born alive but acquitted in the death of a fourth baby.
Dr. Kermit Gosnell was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of a patient.
Prosecutors say the 72-year-old Gosnell delivered babies alive and had their spines severed with scissors to kill them. They say the baby whose death he was cleared in let out a soft whimper before Gosnell cut its neck.
The defense had argued there were no live births at the clinic.
The grisly details of the case came out more than two years ago when authorities described finding bags and bottles of fetuses at the foul-smelling clinic and unsterile instruments that were reused.
Prosecutors seek the death penalty.
abortion, crime, murder, trials, national/world
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested 27 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash 8 min ago
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer...
27 min ago
- Little progress made in search for missing...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos