Soldier surprises daughter at Tampa Bay Rays game
TAMPA BAY, Fla. (KGO) -- A 9-year-old girl got the surprise of her young life when she got to throw out the first pitch at a Tampa Bay Rays game Thursday night.
Alayna Adams walked to the mound thinking she was selected by the U.S.O. for the special honor because her dad had been deployed in Afghanistan.
They even showed a greeting from her dad on the message board.
But it turns out that her dad, Lieutenant Colonel Will Adams was, in fact, crouching behind home plate disguised in full catcher's gear where he caught Alayna's toss.
No one in the family knew about the surprise. That, of course, triggered a tearful reunion. Even the girl's mom didn't know her husband would be at the game.
Alayna say she thought it was a dream.
soldiers, military, afghanistan, children, national/world
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward 45 min ago
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies 11 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday