Soldier surprises daughter at Tampa Bay Rays game
TAMPA BAY, Fla. (KGO) -- A 9-year-old girl got the surprise of her young life when she got to throw out the first pitch at a Tampa Bay Rays game Thursday night.
Alayna Adams walked to the mound thinking she was selected by the U.S.O. for the special honor because her dad had been deployed in Afghanistan.
They even showed a greeting from her dad on the message board.
But it turns out that her dad, Lieutenant Colonel Will Adams was, in fact, crouching behind home plate disguised in full catcher's gear where he caught Alayna's toss.
No one in the family knew about the surprise. That, of course, triggered a tearful reunion. Even the girl's mom didn't know her husband would be at the game.
Alayna say she thought it was a dream.
soldiers, military, afghanistan, children, national/world
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims
- Instagram launches direct messaging feature 51 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday 43 min ago
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos