Hands-free texting worse than texting while driving
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Hands-free use of cellphones while driving is legally OK, but according to a new study, it's actually more dangerous than holding your phone while driving.
Researchers for AAA found using voice commands to send text messages and emails is more dangerous than actually using a cellphone. They say voice-texting can take too much of a driver's attention and impair their ability to drive safety.
Car companies have been aiming at younger buyers by marketing hands-free systems for controlling everything from music to answering emails.
But AAA says its study shows the speech-to-text technologies should be restricted and is asking the automotive and electronics industries to limit voice-activated technologies to activities such as windshield wipers or air conditioning.
"This speech-to-text technology should only be used or limited to use to drivers when the vehicle is stopped," AAA spokesperson Yolanda Cade said.
"Driving should be you're main focus, speed, other drivers, brakes, gas pedal, steering wheel," California Highway Patrol Ofc. Chris Falkowski said.
Researchers also found the same true for talking hands-free. It was found to be more dangerous than holding your phone while talking.
cellphone, driving, smartphones, AAA, national/world, heather ishimaru
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery 15 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer 53 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting 21 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation 52 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief 59 min ago
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley 40 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Campaign looks to end use of 'bossy' with...
30 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San...
53 min ago