Sen. McCain says $1 coin could mean big tips for strippers
Sen. John McCain is a key supporter of bill currently before the Senate that would replace paper dollar bills with coins.
The Arizona Republican says making the switch would save the government billions in printing costs.
But he also hopes the bill would benefit a group not often considered by lawmakers -- strippers.
McCain recently joked that phasing out dollars bills in favor of coins would benefit the dancers, allowing them to get larger bills like five, tens, even hundreds.
His comments were in response to a strip club owner's complaints about McCain's bill.
Supporters of the legislation say phasing out the dollar bill would save the country nearly $14 billion over 30 years.
senate, john mccain, bills, national/world
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California
- Obama announces sanctions on Russian officials 49 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- CHP reopens two lanes of WB I-80 in SF
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- GM recalls 1.18 million SUVs for air bag problem 15 min ago
- Jet search expands north, south; mystery persists 45 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos