National/World

Police: Rhode Island child still missing after 2 found dead

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Police are continuing to search for a small boy they believe was abducted from a Rhode Island home where two bodies were found earlier in the morning.

When the boy went missing, a nationwide Amber Alert was issued that identified the child and a suspect, whose name has now been dropped from the alert.

Massachusetts State Police arrested a man as a suspect in the boy's kidnapping, but later said the man apparently wasn't linked to the child's disappearance. Police wouldn't say if they released him.

The search for 2-year-old Isaiah Perez began after the two bodies were discovered about 5:20 a.m. at the home in Johnston, which is less than 10 miles from Providence.

Investigators believe the two were killed between 4:30 and 5 a.m. and someone then fled the home with the child.

A Johnston police spokesman says authorities don't believe the child was harmed and are hoping that he'll be safely returned.

Investigators are working to determine the relationships among the boy, his abductor and the two homicide victims.

(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more National/World »


Tags:
crime, amber alert, child abduction, children, missing person, national/world
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement