National/World

2 of 3 reported missing after Colorado mudslide found safe

Sunday, August 11, 2013
Kelsey McKiel watches as Camp Creek, normally a small stream, races with soot and mud down 31st Street after a flash flood from the Waldo Canyon Fire burn scar swept through Manitou Springs, Colo. on Friday, Aug. 9, 2013

Kelsey McKiel watches as Camp Creek, normally a small stream, races with soot and mud down 31st Street after a flash flood from the Waldo Canyon Fire burn scar swept through Manitou Springs, Colo. on Friday, Aug. 9, 2013 damaging homes and businesses and injuring at least three people. A late afternoon thunderstorm dumped more than one inch of water on the burn scar and roared through the small town just west of Colorado Springs. Several vehicles were swept from Highway 24, the highway that leads into the mountains. (AP Photo/Bryan Oller)

Two of three people reported missing after a fast-moving mudslide swept through Manitou Springs, Colo., have been found safe.

The Gazette reports a man who recently moved to the area affected by the flood was found Saturday. On Sunday, the El Paso County Sheriff's office said another man thought to have disappeared in the flood, 24-year-old Juston Travis, was accounted for.

Authorities are still trying to determine what happened to an unidentified woman witnesses saw clinging to a tree during Friday night's mudslide.

At least one person was killed in the slide, which also destroyed six houses and damaged more than 30 others in an area burned by the Waldo Canyon Fire last year.

Police Chief Joe Ribeiro says crews continue to sift through creek beds filled with debris.

(Copyright ©2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Get more National/World »


Tags:
flooding, national/world
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement