Paralyzed Ohio bride walks down aisle at wedding
TOLEDO, Ohio (KGO) -- Walking down the aisle is a special moment for any bride. But for one woman in Ohio, it held even greater significance.
Stevie Beale was paralyzed from the waist down seven years ago in a car accident that killed a close friend. She uses a wheelchair and says that won't change unless there are medical breakthroughs.
Using a walker and flanked by her father and trainer, Beale made the inspirational walk down the aisle last weekend in her hometown of Toledo.
She's spent the last year of therapy working toward walking on her wedding day.
"Seeing everything come together at that moment and seeing all the hard work pay off and her in the dress and how beautiful she was and just kind of overwhelming and tried to keep it together as much as possible," said her new husband, Jared VanAusdale.
"I'm just so excited to finally be married and know that, you know, I'm marrying my best friend, well I married my best friend I guess I could say now," Beale said. "And, I know that I know we're gonna laugh for the rest of our lives and that's what I was looking for."
After the ceremony, VanAusdale carried his bride down the aisle.
Beale says her husband wouldn't let her give up her dream when she felt frustrated or tired.
(The Associated Press contributed to this story)
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 37 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
35 min ago