Friday marks second annual International Day of The Girl
Friday marks the second annual International Day of the Girl.
It's a day to recognize the power of education and its ability to improve the quality of learning for all children.
A new documentary called "Girl Rising," chronicles the stories of nine girls striving to overcome obstacles just for a chance to become educated.
Two years ago, the United Nations General Assembly declared October 11 International Day of The Girl.
This year's theme is innovation through education.
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 37 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 34 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos