Friday marks second annual International Day of The Girl
Friday marks the second annual International Day of the Girl.
It's a day to recognize the power of education and its ability to improve the quality of learning for all children.
A new documentary called "Girl Rising," chronicles the stories of nine girls striving to overcome obstacles just for a chance to become educated.
Two years ago, the United Nations General Assembly declared October 11 International Day of The Girl.
This year's theme is innovation through education.
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday