Astronomer discovers asteroid that could hit Earth
Astronomers around the world are now confirming the discovery of a massive asteroid with a very slight potential of hitting the Earth.
A Ukrainian astronomer is the latest to confirm the sighting of the 1,300 foot-wide asteroid in what's known as the "Giraffe Constellation."
It will be a million miles from the Earth's orbit on August 26, 2032.
Astronomers say the chances of it hitting Earth are slim -- about 1 in 63,000.
- Police investigating shooting at business in Richmond 2 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- Hydrants painted to mark contributions to 1906 fires
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed