Stepmom of teen accused in Fla. bullying arrested
WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- Florida deputies have arrested the stepmother of a 14-year-old accused of bullying a girl prior to her suicide.
The Polk County Sheriff's Office said Friday that 30-year-old Vivian Vosburg has been booked into the county jail on two counts of child abuse with bodily harm and four counts of child neglect.
Officials say Vosburg beat a child with her fists in her home as several other children watched.
Sheriff Grady Judd said at a news conference that one child in the home took a cellphone video of the beating and posted it on Facebook.
Judd says Vosburg is the stepmother of one of two girls charged with felony aggravated stalking earlier in the week. Officials say the girls bullied and harassed 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick before she committed suicide.
Accused cyberbully's boyfriend voices regret
Friday morning, the boy at the center of the case came forward. John Borgen, 13, is currently dating the 14-year-old girl accused of cyber-bullying 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick.
Police say the teen told Rebecca she should, "Drink bleach and die," and should "kill herself," because she was "ugly."
Police say the attacks erupted out of jealousy over Borgen's attention. Borgen says he doesn't think his girlfriend is responsible for a Facebook post saying she didn't care Rebecca was dead.
Reporter: Did you know about that?
Borgen: Yeah. I thought somebody hacked her account.
Reporter: How often do you think about Rebecca?
Borgen: I think about her almost every day, knowing that she got bullied. I could've stopped it.
This 14-year-old girlfriend is now in jail. She and another 12-year-old are charged with felony aggravated stalking.
ABC7 News contributed to this report.
children, cyberbullying, child death, crime, national/world
- San Leandro police search for missing 10-year-old boy 42 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 25 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 29 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire