'GMA's' Amy Robach announces breast cancer diagnosis
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A "Good Morning America" correspondent, who spends her career reporting on life or death situations, revealed today, she is facing her own battle.
Amy Robach announced she has breast cancer on Monday morning. Doctors found it when she underwent a mammogram on live TV.
Sources at ABC say the response has been overwhelming. Thoughts and prayers have been pouring in Monday morning.
"Words I never expected to hear. I was told that I have breast cancer," said Robach.
Robach's announcement was full of emotion and has had a tremendous impact. She agreed last month to get a mammogram on live TV as part of "Good Morning America's" breast cancer awareness show.
Robach admits she didn't really want to do go through with the mammogram but says 'GMA' anchor Robin Roberts helped convince her.
"I went in to see Robin Roberts, and she said, 'you know what Amy if one life is saved because of early detection, it's all worth it,'" said Robach.
Ever since Robach shared her personal diagnosis, ABC viewers have jumped into action, offering support.
Robach says telling her kids has been the toughest part but she says she's ready to fight and has decided to have a bilateral mastectomy this Thursday - meaning she'll have both breasts removed.
Go to the ABC7 News Facebook page to send words of encouragement to Amy Robach.
good morning america, ABC, cancer, national/world, amy hollyfield
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 19 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos