Backlash over Thanksgiving Day shopping option
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A new survey out Wednesday morning shows holiday shoppers plan on spending a little more money on gifts this year. The Consumer Federation of America predicts holiday spending will increase by 3.5 to four percent over last year. Many retailers are already offering deals.
You can be on the cutting edge, and start shopping for deals online Wednesday. Or you can stick with tradition and wait for Black Friday. Or you can hit the stores Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. But that option is taking a lot of heat on social media.
Attention Kmart shoppers! And Target and Sears shoppers. The retailers are getting a jump on Cyber Monday by offering online deals starting Wednesday.
If you prefer a brick and mortar experience you can take your turkey to-go and head to some stores Thursday. Toys "R" Us, Walmart, and Kohls are all opening their doors on Thanksgiving.
But some retailers say they plan to honor the day of family and feast.
Nordstrom, Bed Bath and Beyond, and most Apple stores won't open until Black Friday proper.
"We are not going to let corporate retailers rule over our family values and take this away from us," said Holly Cassiano, a Sears franchise owner.
In the Bay Area, people on social media appear to be wholly onboard. We asked our twitter followers if businesses should be open on Thanksgiving and got a resounding "no."
Kimberly Ferguson tweets, "They deserve the day off to be with their families. We should boycott the stores and not shop on that day."
Kathy Struna writes, "Can't skip a day of shopping for family and friends, sad."
Johnny DeVore takes it one step further on Facebook, posting, "What is sad, Black Friday is the day after we give thanks for what we have, only to turn right around and trample each other out of the need for greed."
One last note -- I told you Tuesday that the Wall Street Journal calls Black Friday deals "an illusion." To add to that, consumer advocates say most stores expect to sell items at 30 percent off. So discounts higher than that are the real deal.
black friday, holiday, shopping, cyber monday, thanksgiving, christmas, national/world, katie marzullo
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine 18 min ago
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance 55 min ago
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs 35 min ago
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups 53 min ago
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos