Trapped trucker survives hours in subzero temps
INDIANAPOLIS (KGO) -- A truck driver is back home in Florida after being stuck under his semitrailer for hours in subzero temperatures in Indiana.
Tim Rutledge of Orlando, Fla., says he crawled under his cab before dawn on Monday to fix his truck's frozen brakes at a truck stop south of Indianapolis. But the truck suddenly settled deeper into the snow, pinning him beneath an axle for nearly eight hours.
The 53-year-old says no one could hear him shouting amid the wind and running truck engines. What lead to his rescue is just as miraculous as his survival.
"That's the only morning he never really called me," said his wife, Lisa Rutledge.
Lisa, who was at home a thousand miles away in Orlando, sensed something was wrong and started calling Tim's cellphone relentlessly. The vibrations eventually shook it loose from his jacket. Still unable to reach the phone, Tim was able to dial using voice command.
"I said, 'whoever this is, whatever you do, don't hang up the phone,'" Tim said. "If they hung up the phone it was gonna be my last chance to talk to anybody."
Tim, not knowing who he called, had reached his supervisor who figured out his location and called for help.
Rescuers had to cut him out of his clothes, but Rutledge said he's never felt so relieved.
Rutledge said Thursday he has some numbness but shouldn't have long-term injuries. His doctor says another hour outside likely would've been fatal.
(The Associated Press contibuted to this report)
snow, ice, cellphone, national/world
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Google barge moved to the Port of Stockton
- Pedestrian safety plan announced in San Francisco
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space 50 min ago
- Cronut creator invents 'shots' of milk and cookies
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media...
50 min ago