Trapped trucker survives hours in subzero temps
INDIANAPOLIS (KGO) -- A truck driver is back home in Florida after being stuck under his semitrailer for hours in subzero temperatures in Indiana.
Tim Rutledge of Orlando, Fla., says he crawled under his cab before dawn on Monday to fix his truck's frozen brakes at a truck stop south of Indianapolis. But the truck suddenly settled deeper into the snow, pinning him beneath an axle for nearly eight hours.
The 53-year-old says no one could hear him shouting amid the wind and running truck engines. What lead to his rescue is just as miraculous as his survival.
"That's the only morning he never really called me," said his wife, Lisa Rutledge.
Lisa, who was at home a thousand miles away in Orlando, sensed something was wrong and started calling Tim's cellphone relentlessly. The vibrations eventually shook it loose from his jacket. Still unable to reach the phone, Tim was able to dial using voice command.
"I said, 'whoever this is, whatever you do, don't hang up the phone,'" Tim said. "If they hung up the phone it was gonna be my last chance to talk to anybody."
Tim, not knowing who he called, had reached his supervisor who figured out his location and called for help.
Rescuers had to cut him out of his clothes, but Rutledge said he's never felt so relieved.
Rutledge said Thursday he has some numbness but shouldn't have long-term injuries. His doctor says another hour outside likely would've been fatal.
(The Associated Press contibuted to this report)
snow, ice, cellphone, national/world
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit 46 min ago
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 6 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 3 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
6 min ago