Brain-dead Canadian woman gives birth to baby boy
A British Columbia man whose pregnant wife suffered a cerebral hemorrhage is now a father and a widower.
Robyn Benson was 22 weeks pregnant when she suffered a massive cerebral hemorrhage. The 32-year-old was declared brain-dead and put on a ventilator to help give the fetus a better chance of survival.
Iver Cohen Benson was born 12 weeks premature on Saturday night.
Hours after the caesarian section, Robyn's body was taken off the ventilator.
She and her husband Dylan had been married less than a year, and Robyn was pregnant with their first baby.
"This is the best thing that's happened to me as far as having him here," Dylan said. "And obviously, there's nothing worse than losing your partner."
In a blog post, Dylan thanked everyone for the support and shared the pain of losing his wife. He wrote, "On Sunday, we had to unfortunately say goodbye to the strongest and most wonderful woman I have ever met. I miss Robyn more than words can explain. I could not be more impressed with her strength, and I am so lucky to have known her. She will live on forever within Iver, and in my heart."
The story has captivated people around the world.
The Baby Iver Fund has grown to more than $185,000.
Iver will spend at least two more months in the hospital. And though he's small, doctors say he has a good chance of developing into a healthy child.
pregnancy, children, canada, national/world
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday