San Francisco SPCA mutt wins big at Westminster Dog Show
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- If you follow dog competitions, you know that a local pooch made history last weekend.
Sometimes what you see is more than what it seems. We found an example of that in Golden Gate Park on Thursday -- a woman and her dog, still celebrating 15 minutes of fame that have now extended into days.
Last Saturday Stacy Campbell's dog named Roo became your national agility champion at the world renowned Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
"You go in the ring and you're on auto-pilot," Campbell said.
Trainers guide their dogs through obstacles for points and best times. In local dog competition circles, having Roo win is the equivalent to the San Francisco Giants winning a World Series.
"I won a couple of blue ribbons and a nice, All-American trophy," Campbell said.
What makes Roo's story even more interesting is that five and a half years ago she was a stray in McLaren Park; a dog that was picked up by the San Francisco SPCA, adopted twice, and returned twice.
"And the second time that she got adopted out I deemed her the dog that got away," Campbell said. "A colleague of mine called me two weeks later and said, 'your dog's back.' And the rest is history."
More than that, in winning at Westminster, Roo made history. She's the first mixed breed champion in a circle of competition that had been preserved for purebreds.
"She is definitely a husky, maybe some shepherd, or site hound," Campbell said.
Another barrier broken -- the purebred barrier at Westminster. And it just so happens, by a dog from the most liberal city in America.
animal, pets, SPCA, national/world, wayne freedman
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 12 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges 30 min ago
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday 43 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
28 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos