Calif. Republican Senate race ads get bizarre
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- "An overwrought attack ad sandwiched between two slices of crazy." That is just one of the descriptions of the newest campaign Web ad to go viral.
It may be strange for a Republican ad to show sheep while talking about party leaders, but that is just the beginning.
With a nod to Monty Python, the ad then falls into a more standard attack -- scary music with unflattering pictures of the opponent with a quick cut with pictures of pigs and then back to the sheep.
Carly Fiorina's campaign is attacking Tom Campbell as a fiscal conservative in name only. He has seen the ad and actually posted it on his website.
"In my political career I've never before had an advertisement attacking me that was so terrible; I actually used it and sent it out and asked for support on the basis of it and that's what I did,' Campbell said.
So the Fiorina ad is now on Campbell's website, along with a pitch for contributions.
A spokeswoman for Fiorina's campaign says the web ad is got 100,000 hits in 24 hours.
"His team's way of engaging with this particular ad has actually driven more views to it and probably done more damage that good, so we welcome it and thank him for it," Julie Soderlund said.
But which side is the ad really more damaging to?
"Right now I would say it may play well with the conservative base," ABC7 political analyst Bruce Cain said.
Cain says the ad may give Fiorina a boost with tea party conservatives, but that cuts two ways.
"And if you've painted yourself as purer than pure and you're not going to be compromising on any kind of tax increase and you're going to join the ranks of the tea party, that's a hard sell in California," Cain said.
The Republican contender with the closest ties to the conservative base, Orange County Assm. Chuck DeVore, R-Irvine, apparently did not want to be left out of the fray. Wednesday, he set up the website demonsheep.org, urging voters to join the Society for the Eradication of Demon Sheep from our Political Discourse.
internet, carly fiorina, tom campbell, chuck devore, politics, mark matthews
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 3 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail 40 min ago
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 15 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 7 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos