San Mateo Co. District 3 seat too close to call
SAN MATEO COUNTY, CA -- The District 3 seat for the San Mateo County Board of Supervisors appears to be too close to call in Tuesday's election, but the incumbent for the District 2 seat appears to have been re-elected, according to complete unofficial election results.
Don Horsley, who served as the sheriff of San Mateo County from 1993 to 2007, received the highest number of votes -- 23,980 -- in a race against four other candidates for the District 3 seat of Rich Gordon.
Gordon is seeking to fill the state Assembly seat of Ira Ruskin, who is being termed out of office.
Montara resident April Vargas garnered 15,069 votes and will face Horsley in a run-off election in November. A candidate must obtain at least 50 percent-plus-one of the votes in order to avoid a run-off election.
Sequoia Healthcare District board of directors member Jack Hickey garnered 10,105 votes, while San Carlos City Councilman Matt Grocott received 8,757 votes and San Carlos resident Michael Stogner received 4,243 votes.
Supervisor Carole Groom, who was appointed to the board mid-term in December 2008 after then-Supervisor Jerry Hill was elected to the state Assembly, appears to have defeated her sole opponent, retired businessman Daniel Kaul, with 42,505 votes in the District 2 race.
Kaul, who received 14,773 votes, said in the weeks prior to the election that he had stopped campaigning but would have served the seat if elected.
election day, june 2010 primary, san mateo county, politics
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos