Pelosi celebrates 75th anniversary of Social Security
SNA FRANCISCO (KGO) -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., celebrated the 75th anniversary of Social Security in a ceremony in San Francisco Thursday.
It was one of a number of events taking place around the country this week to preserve and strengthen the government plan.
Unless Congress acts, the program's combined retirement and disability trust funds are expected to run out of money in 2037
"We're celebrating the birthday; we must want it to have many, many more opportunities but we have to make that happen by getting the word out that it is at risk that there is a challenge to it," Pelosi said.
Many Democrats oppose a cut in benefits to reduce costs and some will not accept an increase in the retirement age. Republicans say higher Social Security taxes are out of the question even for the wealthy.
nancy pelosi, politics
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival 33 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun 33 min ago
- Man prefers 3D-printed hand to pricey prostheses 16 min ago
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher 37 min ago
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway...
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos