Democrat Jerry Brown launches first TV ads
SACRAMENTO, CA (KGO) -- The governor's race heated up Labor Day as Democrat Jerry Brown released his first television advertisement. It came on the same day that Republican candidate Meg Whitman picked up a major endorsement.
With the ad, the Jerry Brown for Governor campaign officially hits the airwaves. The 30-second television spot touts Brown's 40-year career in California politics and his vision for the future.
At a campaign stop in Fairfield, Brown said he plans to keep his ads focused on him, at least for now.
"The fact that this race is so close tells me that they're not listening to the other side right now, so there's an openness to hear what I have to say," Brown said.
Brown's TV ad debut coincides with his appearance at a major labor picnic in Oakland.
"I think that he's made it very clear that he expects the union bosses to carry the negative message against Meg Whitman," Former Calif. GOP chair Duf Sundheim said. "You've seen it with the events he's had this weekend, he's really relying on the union bosses to hold him up."
Whitman's campaign has spent more than $100 million so far. Some of her ads celebrate Whitman's accomplishments as CEO of eBay and play to the Republican base. Many others attack Brown.
In a close race, some strategists wonder if Brown should have released his TVspots sooner. Others think his timing is just right.
"Jerry Brown is coming in right when voters are kind of ready to start paying attention; they're just starting to think about the election," Menlo College political science professor Melissa Michelson said.
And with two months to go, there is still plenty of time to change the message.
jerry brown, democrats, meg whitman, gubernatorial race, television, politics, laura anthony
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 8 min ago
- SJ seeks crowdfunding support for gun buyback
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday