President Obama leaves the Bay Area
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- President Barack Obama is taking his star power from the Bay Area to Southern California to help embattled Sen. Barbara Boxer in her close race with Republican contender Carly Fiorina.
Obama took off in Air Force One shortly before 11 a.m. Friday, less than 24 hours after he arrived in the Bay Area.
Two fundraisers in the Silicon Valley raised a lot of money and now the president is headed to Los Angeles to raise the sagging spirits of his party's base.
Air Force One lifted off under threatening skies; only appropriate considering the Democrats prospects in next month's election.
Polls suggest Republicans will take control of the House and make gains in the Senate, severely curtailing Obama's agenda in Congress.
His message at fundraisers in Palo Alto and Atherton last night was "Remember why you gave me the job in the first place and remember what it was like with Republicans calling many of the shots."
That has been the theme of his four-day campaign tour, and a theme he is expected to push at a rally at the University of Southern California Friday afternoon.
But the Democratic base is not energized and the Republican base.
One big problem is support from women, a group that overwhelmingly went for Obama in 2008. Polls show many are going Republican because of the slow economic recovery and the jobless rate.
It is testimony to the Democrat's problems that the president is in overwhelmingly Democratic California a couple weeks before the election trying to help candidates who should not need his help.
barack obama, barbara boxer, kamala harris, atherton, palo alto, southern california, election day, san francisco international airport, politics, terry mcsweeney
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday