Kamala Harris declares victory over Cooley
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris finally declared victory Tuesday in the tight state attorney general race.
Harris made the announcement in Los Angeles and thanked her campaign supporters. She did not want to say anything until now because the race was so close, even though her Republican opponent, Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley, conceded defeat last week.
Harris is the first woman and the first minority to serve in this post. She was slated to hold a celebration Tuesday night in San Francisco.
kamala harris, politics
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast 47 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 22 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos