Stanford professor to be ambassador to Russia
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- President Obama has chosen a Stanford professor as the next U.S. ambassador to Russia.
47-year-old political science professor Michael McFaul is a leading expert on U.S. - Russia relations. If he is confirmed by the Senate, he would be the first non-diplomat to hold the post in 30 years.
Mcfaul currently serves on the National Security Council and has been a key architect of President Obama's efforts to repair ties with Russia.
barack obama, senate, stanford university, palo alto, politics
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey 31 min ago
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday