Stanford professor to be ambassador to Russia
PALO ALTO, Calif. -- President Obama has chosen a Stanford professor as the next U.S. ambassador to Russia.
47-year-old political science professor Michael McFaul is a leading expert on U.S. - Russia relations. If he is confirmed by the Senate, he would be the first non-diplomat to hold the post in 30 years.
Mcfaul currently serves on the National Security Council and has been a key architect of President Obama's efforts to repair ties with Russia.
barack obama, senate, stanford university, palo alto, politics
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- Thieves target True Religion jeans
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- Shift in tactics may be helping Oakland police
- 3-D printer helps save dying baby with rare disease
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Walnut Creek student dies after brain hemorrhage
- NASA Ames focusing on advanced manufacturing
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Bicyclist killed ID'd; Unsolved murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday