Obama returning to Bay Area this week
President Barack Obama will be returning to the Bay Area this week to raise more money for his re-election campaign with three events on the Peninsula.
Obama will first attend a fundraising dinner at 5:15 p.m. Wednesday at the Atherton home of philanthropists Lisa and Doug Goldman. Tickets for the event cost $35,800 per person.
The president will then attend a large rally at Redwood City's Fox Theatre at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Premium seating for the event starts at $1,000 per person.
Redwood City Mayor Alicia Aguirre said the president's visit has generated much enthusiasm in her city.
"We're really excited that he's coming," Aguirre said. "It really elevates Redwood City and puts it on the map."
Aguirre said she has been contacted by people from various communities within the city who are interested in attending the event.
"No matter what side you're on in your beliefs and politics, it's always a special treat to have the president visit your city," she said.
The rally is expected to attract protesters from Occupy Redwood City, who plan to assemble outside the theater to protest what they say are civil liberties abuses abroad and collusion with corporate interests at home.
The last of Obama's three fundraising events in the Bay Area is a campaign roundtable with the Asian-American/Pacific Islander community scheduled for 8 a.m. Thursday at the Garden Court Hotel in Palo Alto. Tickets for that event also cost $35,800 per person.
Obama last visited the Bay Area in February, when he attended a small fundraising dinner and a larger rally, both in San Francisco.
barack obama, 2012 presidential race, elections, atherton, redwood city, palo alto, politics
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 1 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges 12 min ago
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday 25 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
10 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
12 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos