Romney attends fundraiser at famed Hillsborough mansion
HILLSBOROUGH, Calif. -- Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his wife Ann are in the Bay Area today for a fundraising trip that includes a reception in Hillsborough with tickets reaching $50,000 per person.
That event is being held at the Chateau Carolands, a mansion nestled in the hills of San Mateo County. Ticket prices range from $2,500 for the general reception to $50,000 for a "founder's dinner."
Attendees will include former Gov. Pete Wilson and former Secretary of State George Shultz, according to an invitation for the event.
This afternoon, Ann Romney will attend a "Bay Area Ladies' Luncheon" at the Palo Alto home of Cisco CEO John Chambers and his wife, Elaine.
Local Democrats and a former Department of Commerce official plan to hold a 5:30 p.m. news conference outside of Romney's Hillsborough fundraiser. They say they plan to speak about the former Massachusetts governor's business philosophy and what a Romney presidency would mean for the middle class.
Speakers will include Ro Khanna, former deputy assistant secretary at the Commerce Department; Santa Clara County Democratic Party Chair Steve Preminger; and Ellouise Patton of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 5.
Romney's visit comes on the heels of a Bay Area stopover by President Barack Obama, who came to town last week for several campaign fundraisers on the Peninsula and in San Jose. Tickets to the Obama events reached $35,800.
republicans, mitt romney, fundraiser, hillsborough, 2012 presidential race, elections, politics
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 44 min ago
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
41 min ago