Romney attends fundraiser at famed Hillsborough mansion
HILLSBOROUGH, Calif. -- Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his wife Ann are in the Bay Area today for a fundraising trip that includes a reception in Hillsborough with tickets reaching $50,000 per person.
That event is being held at the Chateau Carolands, a mansion nestled in the hills of San Mateo County. Ticket prices range from $2,500 for the general reception to $50,000 for a "founder's dinner."
Attendees will include former Gov. Pete Wilson and former Secretary of State George Shultz, according to an invitation for the event.
This afternoon, Ann Romney will attend a "Bay Area Ladies' Luncheon" at the Palo Alto home of Cisco CEO John Chambers and his wife, Elaine.
Local Democrats and a former Department of Commerce official plan to hold a 5:30 p.m. news conference outside of Romney's Hillsborough fundraiser. They say they plan to speak about the former Massachusetts governor's business philosophy and what a Romney presidency would mean for the middle class.
Speakers will include Ro Khanna, former deputy assistant secretary at the Commerce Department; Santa Clara County Democratic Party Chair Steve Preminger; and Ellouise Patton of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 5.
Romney's visit comes on the heels of a Bay Area stopover by President Barack Obama, who came to town last week for several campaign fundraisers on the Peninsula and in San Jose. Tickets to the Obama events reached $35,800.
republicans, mitt romney, fundraiser, hillsborough, 2012 presidential race, elections, politics
- Boy's body found at the bottom of a canal in Antioch 59 min ago
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event 29 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 35 min ago
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- San Antonio flooding kills one; 200-plus rescued 11 min ago
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Missing elderly Palo Alto woman with Alzheimer's found 41 min ago
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 5 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
2 min ago
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
29 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T...
35 min ago