Republicans sign brief in support of gay marriage
A top Silicon Valley CEO and former Republican candidate for governor is changing her position on same-sex marriage. Hewlett Packard CEO Meg Whitman is among dozens of prominent Republicans coming forward to say Proposition 8 should be overturned.
The New York Times reports Whitman has signed a legal brief arguing gay people have a constitutional right to marriage. Whitman supported Proposition 8 during her campaign for governor in 2010. Other prominent Republicans who signed the brief include former presidential candidate Jon Huntsman, former New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman and former Massachusetts Governors William Weld and Jane Swift.
The Supreme Court is set to hear arguments on whether Proposition 8 is constitutional next month.
meg whitman, same sex marriage, republicans, politics
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport 30 min ago
- Brentwood students in trouble for nude selfies 9 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos