Bill headed to Gov. Brown would limit arena gun shows
DALY CITY, Calif. -- A bill that would allow local input on whether gun shows should be allowed at the Cow Palace is headed to Gov. Jerry Brown's desk after winning legislative approval, state Sen. Mark Leno said Friday.
San Francisco and San Mateo county officials have been fighting for years to stop gun shows at the Cow Palace, which is located partly in both San Francisco and Daly City in an area that struggles with violence and gang activity.
Other counties have successfully blocked gun shows on county fairgrounds and similar facilities by passing ordinances.
But because the Cow Palace is owned and operated by the state, the shows have continued there despite local opposition.
Senate Bill 475 would require both the San Mateo and San Francisco board of supervisors to pass resolutions approving a gun show at the Cow Palace before such an event could be held.
"For years, residents, community organizations and elected leaders from the neighborhoods surrounding the Cow Palace have asked to have a voice in the decision to hold gun shows in their backyards, but they have been ignored," Leno said.
Leno authored two previous bills that would have banned gun shows at the Cow Palace. The most recent, SB 585, was vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Brown has until Oct. 13 to act on the bill.
guns, cow palace, daly city, south san francisco, violence, children, connecticut school shooting, shooting, mark leno, jerry brown, politics
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos