Local civil rights pioneer's take on Obama win
In 1957, when Melba Beals was 15-years-old she was thrust onto the front lines of the civil rights movement. As one of the Little Rock Nine, she faced angry, violent mobs to integrate Central High School in Alabama.
Tuesday night, Beals watched the election returns from her home.
"I was astonished; I had friends at my house for a big dinner and I went to bedroom and just cried becasue it's beyond my comprehension," Beals said.
Beals is now a communications professor at Dominican University in San Rafael.
It has been more than five decades since she faced down death and hatred. Beals has come a long way and feels President-elect Barack Obama's election shows the country has too.
Beals was presented the Congressional Gold Medal in 1999 by President Bill Clinton, whom she considers a friend.
Obama's election has given her bravery new meaning.
"We had to go to Central High School in 1957 becasue had we not done that, people would not have been ready to receive President-elect Obama. Had we not marched up the front stairs of Central High School, he may not have aspired to march up the front stairs of the White House," Beals said.
Beals thinks Obama's strength will come, not from being black, but being a man of mixed heritage. And although now is a time for celebration, the work is far from done.
"We partied hardy... next week we'll be back in uniform again," she said.
Beals' current project is a study on equality - who has it and who does not.
local elections, heather ishimaru
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Vault fire in SF's Mission District now under control 4 min ago
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating
- Massage therapist faces sexual battery charges 19 min ago
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital
- Photos: FAN PHOTOS: Farewell Candlestick 39 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday