Obama's CA team celebrates in Chicago
CHICAGO (KGO) -- At 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, as hundreds of thousands headed to Chicago's Grant Park, President-elect Barack Obama and his top advisors were on the very private 35th floor of the Hyatt Regency watching returns.
Obama's Bay Area fundraising team came down to the 33rd floor so ABC7 could watch the returns with them.
"It's kind of like being at a family reunion where you've got this big family that spreads out across the county," San Francisco district attorney Kamala Harris said.
Harris, her brother-in-law Tony West, venture capitalist Mark Gorenberg, and fundraisers Wade Randlett and Lorraine Hariton were all there.
"It's been incredible," West said. "We started this a long time ago in John Roos' living room with a bunch of folks who had come to hear Sen. Obama speak over a speaker phone."
Most of those people were in Springfield, in Iowa, in New Hampshire; together they raised millions of dollars and put in thousands of miles of travel.
"Tonight I think we're all a little nervous," Roos said Tuesday. "We're very optimistic, but nervous."
But when the polls closed in California, a cheer went up from the crowd of California volunteers. It was an enormous outpouring of energy and hours later and exhausted but exhilarated Roos headed for some rest.
"When he went over the 270, and it was right when they predicted California so there was a personal element to that, it was a feeling that not only was the country changing, but the world," Roos said.
local elections, mark matthews
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced 12 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home 15 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Vernon's View: "When we play them it's...
21 min ago
- Trial begins in Montana newlywed murder case
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos