SF strongly considered to host 34th America's Cup
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Officials announced that San Francisco is still one of the cities being strongly considered to host the 34th America's Cup.
Officials say the legendary race will most likely be held in either 2013 or 2014. The venue will be announced by the end of this year.
Officials say the city that hosts the international event will need to create an America's Cup village suitable for a series of regattas, fans, and the media. That's expected to cost a host city hundreds of millions of dollars to create.
They also said a new class of boat will be used, which is still in the designing stage and the race will be more media friendly with specific start and finish times.
larry ellison, sports
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 10 min ago
- 'Legends of Candlestick' to return for final game
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- 2 arrested for murder of pet sitter in East Oakland 25 min ago
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Brentwood boy to be honored at MLB All-Star game 12 min ago
- Suspected San Jose homicide victim identified 21 min ago
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- Actor dressed as homeless man fools New Yorkers 27 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Muni bus fire; Hiker rescued 32 min ago