Planning Commission gives OK to America's Cup
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Planning Commission has given the America's Cup yacht race the green light. Thursday night they unanimously approved the environmental impact report.
The public was able to comment on the plan to host the race before the commissioners voted on it. One neighborhood group says the report missed the mark, but many organizations, like the San Francisco Travel Association, urged the certification of the report because of the potential long term benefits of the city's global exposure.
"The unending value that comes from having had millions of visitors experience this city, fall in love with it and return home to tell their friends, families and coworkers," said Matt Striker from the San Francisco Travel Association.
"This report failed to consider, even just do the numbers, and consider what the volume of traffic and noise and trash might be so that if something needs to be done about it, it can be done," said Jon Golinger from Telegraph Hill Dwellers.
Despite their concerns, the Telegraph Hill Dwellers do say they're happy the race is coming to the bay. The plan for the America's Cup race now goes to the Port Commission, which will discuss it on Friday.
america's cup, san francisco bay, alcatraz, sports
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 1 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 40 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
1 min ago
- International effort underway to find...
55 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting...
40 min ago