America's Cup organizers encourage youth to sail
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Gearing up for the America's Cup to be held in San Francisco in 2013, organizers Thursday revealed a partnership designed to help energize youth to sail.
A 66-foot tall catamaran, a racing sailboat with a six-story wing sail, was on display at Union Square Park. It served as the backdrop for an announcement via video from Italy.
"As a young kid who always dreamed of competing in the America's Cup, now there will be a real pathway for all those youth sailors out there," Oracle Team USA Skipper Jimmy Spithill said.
America's Cup organizers want to make the cup a global sports, lifestyle and media brand.
The America's Cup will be held in the city next September.
america's cup, sports
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season 3 min ago
- BART board approves contract with AFSCME
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules 29 min ago
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching 13 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea 10 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam 46 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos