America's Cup organizers encourage youth to sail
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Gearing up for the America's Cup to be held in San Francisco in 2013, organizers Thursday revealed a partnership designed to help energize youth to sail.
A 66-foot tall catamaran, a racing sailboat with a six-story wing sail, was on display at Union Square Park. It served as the backdrop for an announcement via video from Italy.
"As a young kid who always dreamed of competing in the America's Cup, now there will be a real pathway for all those youth sailors out there," Oracle Team USA Skipper Jimmy Spithill said.
America's Cup organizers want to make the cup a global sports, lifestyle and media brand.
The America's Cup will be held in the city next September.
america's cup, sports
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Richmond postpones suing Chevron over refinery fire
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire 8 min ago
- Safety recommendations released for America's Cup
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feinstein's vote
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Crissy Field art; Richmond shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos