America's Cup organizers encourage youth to sail
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Gearing up for the America's Cup to be held in San Francisco in 2013, organizers Thursday revealed a partnership designed to help energize youth to sail.
A 66-foot tall catamaran, a racing sailboat with a six-story wing sail, was on display at Union Square Park. It served as the backdrop for an announcement via video from Italy.
"As a young kid who always dreamed of competing in the America's Cup, now there will be a real pathway for all those youth sailors out there," Oracle Team USA Skipper Jimmy Spithill said.
America's Cup organizers want to make the cup a global sports, lifestyle and media brand.
The America's Cup will be held in the city next September.
america's cup, sports
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 38 min ago
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults 53 min ago
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 37 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday