SF softball team calls it quits after 35 years
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Here's a story for all you weekend warriors, especially the hard-core among you who might also play during the week: A San Francisco city league softball team that has been winning championships for 35 years. But there comes a time to call it quits.
The Floating Rhinos are all lawyers who began playing rugby at Hastings Law School and then transitioned to softball. Champions many times over, the team has been around so long that it's hard to tell whether the trophies have more injuries or the players.
"I'm called the new guy because I've only been on the team 12-13 years," one member said.
Stalwarts like Skip Walker still have a lot of pride. But he's not as fast as he used to be.
"It's my reactions are shot; I'm hurting the team, and by the way, I'm not the only one hurting the team," Walker said.
Not long ago, Manager Ace Lipton made a command decision.
"I'm superstitious about playing over 62; it's unlucky," Lipton said.
So, the Floating Rhinos are done. They recently played their last game.
They said all the right things, but in a crowd of lawyers, everyone knows the truth. When you play together, you stay together. When you dissolve, you drift.
"I figure we can still get together for pizza and beer," one player said.
It takes a couple of decades to forge a man from a boy. If that man is lucky when he grows up, the boy part remains.
sports, wayne freedman
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 35 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420" 54 min ago
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- One killed in boating accident in Redwood City 17 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 27 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets 15 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
37 min ago
- Video shows burglar prowling in baby's room
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos