Giants cameraman starts charity after his own cancer
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- When the San Francisco Giants went to the World Series in 2010, Giants announcer Duane Kuiper described the experience as torture.
Shortly afterwards, Giants dugout cameraman Dave Benzer was diagnosed with stage IV throat cancer. He beat it, and formed the Torture Cancer Foundation.
On Monday at Harding Park, the second annual fundraising golf tournament was held with several Giants staffers helping out: Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper, ex-49er Harris Barton, and pitching coach Mark Gardner. Gardner lost his wife to cancer.
Benzer talked with ABC7 about the purpose behind his foundation. He said, "The Torture Cancer Foundation is giving back as a visual distraction inside the oncology rooms. Clinical studies have shown if you have a distraction, we can take the fear out of it and put the hope in there, so my foundation is looking to rebuild hospitals across America."
"This is what this tournament is all about, raising money to better the sound systems in the waiting rooms for chemotherapy patients. It's a lot of good coming out of this, so it was easy to get behind this," said Krukow.
"It's just a great cause and we we've all somehow been affected by this awful disease and know how it can get people down and he's going to try to get people up. So we're here to help him and support him and we'll do it as long as we have to," said Gardner.
san francisco giants, cancer, fundraiser, sports
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 6 min ago
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016 15 min ago
- 7 On Your Side: Save on summer vacation flights
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's 21 min ago
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
35 min ago