Giants cameraman starts charity after his own cancer
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- When the San Francisco Giants went to the World Series in 2010, Giants announcer Duane Kuiper described the experience as torture.
Shortly afterwards, Giants dugout cameraman Dave Benzer was diagnosed with stage IV throat cancer. He beat it, and formed the Torture Cancer Foundation.
On Monday at Harding Park, the second annual fundraising golf tournament was held with several Giants staffers helping out: Mike Krukow, Duane Kuiper, ex-49er Harris Barton, and pitching coach Mark Gardner. Gardner lost his wife to cancer.
Benzer talked with ABC7 about the purpose behind his foundation. He said, "The Torture Cancer Foundation is giving back as a visual distraction inside the oncology rooms. Clinical studies have shown if you have a distraction, we can take the fear out of it and put the hope in there, so my foundation is looking to rebuild hospitals across America."
"This is what this tournament is all about, raising money to better the sound systems in the waiting rooms for chemotherapy patients. It's a lot of good coming out of this, so it was easy to get behind this," said Krukow.
"It's just a great cause and we we've all somehow been affected by this awful disease and know how it can get people down and he's going to try to get people up. So we're here to help him and support him and we'll do it as long as we have to," said Gardner.
san francisco giants, cancer, fundraiser, sports
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday