Sporting KC defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1, advances to MLS Cup final
KANSAS CITY, KS -- Dom Dwyer scored in the 63rd minute, and Sporting Kansas City advanced to its first MLS Cup final since 2004 with a 2-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night in the second leg of the Eastern Conference final.
C.J. Sapong also scored for Kansas City, which will play host to either Portland or Real Salt Lake on Dec. 7. Sporting and the Dynamo played to a scoreless draw two weeks ago in the first leg of the conference final.
Houston, the runner-up in 2011 and 2012, will miss the title game for the first time in three years.
The Dynamo went up 1-0 in the 3rd minute on a goal from Oscar Boniek Garcia, whose shot deflected off center back Matt Besler after a headed pass from Brad Davis.
Sapong responded in the 14th minute, scoring from short range after Houston defender Bobby Boswell misplayed Graham Zusi's through ball.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
houston dynamo, mls, sports
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 1 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 15 min ago
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Perfect Pet: Isabella
29 min ago