Team New Zealand beats Italy in America's Cup trials
SAN FRANCISCO -- Emirates Team New Zealand beat Italy's Luna Rossa by 3 minutes, 21 seconds in their final meeting in the round-robins in the America's Cup challenger trials Sunday on San Francisco Bay.
As the points leader in the round-robins, the Kiwis had the choice of advancing straight to the Louis Vuitton Cup final or picking their opponent for the semifinals. Skipper Dean Barker said that while the Kiwis considered getting in more racing time, they've decided to advance straight to the finals in order to continue development of their 72-foot catamaran.
That leaves Luna Rossa to face Artemis Racing of Sweden in the semifinals starting Aug. 6. Artemis only recently launched its new boat and hasn't sailed in the round-robins. The syndicate has been slowed by the fatal capsize of its first boat on May 9.
The Louis Vuitton Cup finals begin Aug. 17, with the winner advancing to face Oracle Team USA in the 34th America's Cup starting Sept. 7.
The Kiwis had a slight lead at the start Sunday and built its lead at every turning mark on the seven-leg course. Team New Zealand went 5-0 against the Italians, including the opening race that Italy boycotted due to a rules spat.
In their four head-to-head matchups, the Kiwis were so dominant that the Italians twice were officially ruled a DNF - did not finish - because they crossed the finish line more than five minutes behind Team New Zealand.
After the race, Tom Cruise and his son boarded Team New Zealand's boat and were given a ride across the bay.
america's cup, san francisco bay, boats, competition, oracle, celebrity, sports
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap 35 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
7 min ago