Peninsula Little League champs head to Western Regional
BELMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- A Bay Area Little League team that has already claimed the Northern California championship has begun a new quest and an excited Peninsula community came out to cheer them on Wednesday morning. A rally and fundraiser were held at Jamba Juice and the boys left about before 11 a.m. heading south, hoping to make history.
Pressure? What pressure? The Belmont Redwood Shores All Stars are about to shine in the national spotlight, but they're still just kids. The team is made up of twelve 12-year-old boys and one 11-year-old. They've grown up playing together dreaming of one day making it to the Little League World Series.
"We're great friends. I mean we can talk basically about anything. We can just go on about a conversation for hours, have fun together," pitcher and shortstop Sean Lee told ABC7 News.
In their last game, the Belmont Redwood Shores All Stars beat Santa Cruz to win the Northern California championship to advance to the Western Regional. Organizers say no other Peninsula team has ever gone this far in the Little League World Series.
"We said from the beginning we were out to make history and they cooperated, and they did a great job," said manager Rudy Lopez.
There were big cheers as the crowd sent the boys on their way. Their bus had a police escort to 101 with their final destination -- the city of San Bernadino. The team will face off against the best teams from Arizona, Utah, Hawaii, Nevada, and Southern California.
The boys are hopeful and confident. "We hope to compete in San Bernadino and I think we have a pretty good chance of winning," said catcher Dominic Susa.
And, the parents want them to swing for the fences. "We want to go to Williamsport!" said team mom Jennifer Douglis.
And, if they win the Western Regional, they will go to Williamsport. Their first game is this Friday.
children, belmont, redwood shores, santa cruz, sports, matt keller
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF 22 min ago
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect 23 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault 7 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos