Belmont Little League team advances to Western Finals
BELMONT, Calif. (KGO) -- The Belmont Redwood Shores All-Stars Little League team beat the Chandler National team from Arizona 8-1 in the Western Regional semifinals Friday night, and is one game away from the Little League World Series.
The team will play against Southern California's Eastlake Little League team in San Bernardino Saturday evening to decide the Western Regional champion.
"People are just over the moon on how far the All-Stars have come. Whether they win or not these kids have made us proud," Redwood City spokeswoman Sheri Costa-Batis said before today's game.
Andy Stulbarg watched his 12-year-old son Jake play at Friday night's game in San Bernardino.
"This is certainly the biggest stage the boys have ever played on," he said.
Jake delivered an RBI single and scored two runs.
The team of 13 boys is going into seventh or eighth grade this coming school year, Stulbarg said.
Stulbarg said he sent his son a text message that simply said "good luck."
A watch party Friday night helped raise money to alleviate the team's travel expenses and included a barbecue organized by the Belmont Fire Department, a raffle, and a silent auction. Team t-shirts were also on sale.
Another watch party will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at Carlmont High School at 1400 Alameda De Las Pulgas.
Donations to the team can also be made on their website at www.brsll.org.
Patricia Braunstein, a board member for the little league team, said, "It's so rare that teams get to play at this level. It may never happen again."
Braunstein has helped organize four watch parties so far and hopes to raise $20,000 to cover the team's travel expenses in San Bernardino.
You can support the BRSLL All-Stars by participating in the Battle of the Bay - Whiffle Ball Tournament (Ages 6-12) on Saturday August 10.
belmont, redwood shores, sports
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire 5 min ago
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney 24 min ago
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 54 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos