Belmont Little League team falls to Chula Vista in Western Finals
SAN BERNADINO, Calif. (KGO) -- The World Series dreams of the Belmont Redwood Shores All-Stars Little League team ended Saturday night with a loss at the Western Regional Championship game in Southern California.
But there are plenty of family and friends waiting to welcome the team home as heroes.
Those who couldn't watch the team play in San Bernardino gathered instead at Carlmont High School in Belmont to watch it on ESPN.
They won the hearts of many fans, but the Chula Vista team proved to be too much, scoring in every inning to beat Belmont 9-0.
While it wasn't the outcome they hoped for, the fans are still bursting with pride.
Watch parties Friday and Saturday nights helped raise money to offset the team's $20,000 travel expenses. This included a barbecue organized by the Belmont Fire Department, a raffle, and a silent auction. Team t-shirts were also on sale.
The Belmont Redwood Shores little league is gladly accepting donations on their website if you want to help.
Patricia Braunstein, a board member for the little league team, said, "It's so rare that teams get to play at this level. It may never happen again."
Braunstein has helped organize four watch parties so far and hopes to raise the thousands of dollars needed to cover the team's travel expenses in San Bernardino.
belmont, redwood shores, sports
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 19 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button 48 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos