Role of Texans backup QB likely to be decided in Dallas
HOUSTON -- One of the biggest questions of the Texans' preseason will likely get answered after Thursday's game up in Dallas. Who will be Matt Schaub's backup this season?
TJ Yates has been the No. 2 guy behind Schaub each of the last two seasons and has just as many playoff wins as the starter. But he's being challenged this preseason by former University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum for the job.
Both have played well in limited action this preseason. Yates is 27 of 39 for 308 yards and 3 TDs. Keenum is 34 of 50 for 354 yards and two TDs.
But on Thursday (7pm on ABC13) when the Texans take on Dallas, Keenum and Yates will play a full half each. Head Coach Gary Kubiak says Keenum will start and Yates will take over after halftime.
"I probably feel as good as I've felt after my starter probably in a long, long time," Kubiak said. "It's a nice problem to have."
The backup QB job is not the only one up for grabs Thursday. The Texans are trying to determine which running back will back up Arian Foster and Ben Tate. Deji Karim and Dennis Johnson are competing for that role
The regular season begins on Monday, September 9 against the San Diego Chargers. It's a game you can catch on ABC13.
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley 18 min ago
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Fire in Novato damages garage and two cars
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week 51 min ago
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 19 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Measuring California's impact from affirmative action ban
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos