Role of Texans backup QB likely to be decided in Dallas
HOUSTON -- One of the biggest questions of the Texans' preseason will likely get answered after Thursday's game up in Dallas. Who will be Matt Schaub's backup this season?
TJ Yates has been the No. 2 guy behind Schaub each of the last two seasons and has just as many playoff wins as the starter. But he's being challenged this preseason by former University of Houston quarterback Case Keenum for the job.
Both have played well in limited action this preseason. Yates is 27 of 39 for 308 yards and 3 TDs. Keenum is 34 of 50 for 354 yards and two TDs.
But on Thursday (7pm on ABC13) when the Texans take on Dallas, Keenum and Yates will play a full half each. Head Coach Gary Kubiak says Keenum will start and Yates will take over after halftime.
"I probably feel as good as I've felt after my starter probably in a long, long time," Kubiak said. "It's a nice problem to have."
The backup QB job is not the only one up for grabs Thursday. The Texans are trying to determine which running back will back up Arian Foster and Ben Tate. Deji Karim and Dennis Johnson are competing for that role
The regular season begins on Monday, September 9 against the San Diego Chargers. It's a game you can catch on ABC13.
- Brentwood students facing charges for sexting scandal
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos