Coogs open season with 62-13 rout of Southern
HOUSTON -- Ryan Jackson rushed for 120 yards and two touchdowns to lead Houston to a 62-13 win over Southern in the season opener for both teams Friday night.
David Piland was 15 of 23 for 148 yards and a touchdown and John O'Korn threw for 107 yards and three touchdowns in a backup role. Kenneth Farrow added 97 yards on the ground for the Cougars, which piled up 627 yards of offense - 372 on the ground - in their first game in the American Athletic Conference.
Daniel Spencer caught nine passes for 102 yards and two touchdowns and ran for a third score for Houston, which was penalized 14 times for 126 yards.
Southern's Dray Joseph finished 27 of 36 for 268 yards and two touchdowns. Samuel Altman caught four passes for 74 yards and a score and Willie Quinn had six catches for 77 yards and a touchdown.
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Man arrested in deadly fight at Antioch bowling alley 45 min ago
- St. Anthony's holds annual Curbside Donation Drive
- Two injured in shooting near San Jose State University
- Ex-49er Harris sentenced in boyfriend's beating 58 min ago
- Mother, toddler endure violent home invasion robbery 40 min ago
- Pope Francis visits Rome children's hospital 18 min ago
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Fresno police seek suspects in teacher's shooting
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday