Eyes of football world on College Station as 'Bama-A&M rematch approaches
COLLEGE STATION, TX -- It's an SEC showdown this weekend in College Station. Texas A&M is taking on No. 1-ranked Alabama. It's a match-up the players and fans have waited for since A&M knocked off the Tide last year.
Every week the ESPN Gameday crew sets up shop at the biggest games in the biggest venues in college football. But this week and this setting are special.
"One of the coolest scenes in college football, and knowing the history behind the 12th man and stuff, the midnight yell," said David Pollack with ESPN Gameday. "It's sweet."
"We're on a plane at 5:45 in the morning and I swear to you it's the only time at 5:45am that I was pumped up because everyone on the plane was talking about this game," said Samantha Ponder with ESPN.
It's not a stretch to say that everyone in football everyone recognizes the moment and the man who turned the nation's eyes toward Aggieland.
"I like covering Johnny just because he's a fun guy to watch," said Ponder. "He makes college football more entertaining and better for the fans."
This kind of attention for a Texas A&M game is unprecedented. Longtime SEC observers have a hard time believing what another A&M win over Alabama would mean.
"If A&M wins the game and Manziel stars, which I think he'd have to, it'd be one of the most extraordinary victories in college football history," said Paul Finebaum with ESPN.
CBS will broadcast Saturday's game. They rarely bring their pregame show on the road. But then Johnny Football changed all that.
"It's been 15 years. I think Craig James was in my seat then. That's how long it's been," said football analyst Spencer Tillman. "I think ultimately, it's this big rarely. And when it gets this big, you have to be there."
Greg Bailey is in College Station. Watch for his reports on Eyewitness News and get his Tweets @GregBailey13. And if you're in College Station for the game, we want to see your pics. Email them to us at email@example.com
sports, greg bailey
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 11 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges 41 min ago
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 33 min ago
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
13 min ago
- False hopes dismay in search for missing jet
29 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
11 min ago